MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. All,

Anyone know if there is a 12 volt power sauce in the boot of a 2005 MG TF, I want to fit a reversing camera and need power.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I fitted reversing sensors and took the feed from the reversing lights. I went for sensors as they are more reliable than a camera (had a motorhome and went through 3 cameras in 9 years) sensors are cheap n cheerful and 4 across the back bumper worked a treat on my TF. You dont need to remover the bumper.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I fitted reversing sensors and took the feed from the reversing lights. I went for sensors as they are more reliable than a camera (had a motorhome and went through 3 cameras in 9 years) sensors are cheap n cheerful and 4 across the back bumper worked a treat on my TF. You dont need to remover the bumper.
Hi, this interests me. So where did you get the sensors from and how long a job is it? Regards.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I paid about £8 for the whole kit and it came on a slow boat from China. I wasn't in a hurry. You can get them colour-coded-i went for silver, to match mine. You get everything you need-some of the 'posh' ones are as much as £15 with a digital display, but given how hot the dashboard gets and the limited space to mount a display-i just went for the sounder/bleeper.
You make sure that its all working first-wire them all up indoors on the table via a 12v battery /supply and you will at least know they are/are not working. I've fitted these to loads of cars, so I know what to look for. I then squirt a bit of silicon sealant on the cable-entry to the ultra-sonic sensor. Then let it dry. (the idea being if its going to let water in-it will be here)!
I then need to find the live-so take everything out of the boot-inc carpet- and rig up a 12v light bulb with 2 wires soldered to it (or a meter if you have one) Pop the ignition on to bring up the revising light (putting it in reverse of course). You then probe the light cluster plug for the live wire that lights up the white reversing lamp.
You can 'test' the kit works by connecting the red wire of the kit to this live wire and the black wire of the kit to earth. With the sensors hanging equipment-distance off the back of the car, you can (with a helper) test them! Make sure the kit switches off when you knock it out of reverse.
Now the bit not to get wrong-Mark a horizontal line across the bumper to get the 'centers' then divide the area by 4 and mark the vertical positions. The kits come with a hole-cutter, so carefully drill each hole, making sure you clear the plastic pieces out before progressing to the next hole, if you follow.
Pop the wires in, and I don't remember having to drill another hoe in the car-i came in via a blanking rubber-so you now have the 4 ultra sonic tales/wires in the boot and its a case of tidying the wires us and sticking the control box on the side of the boot-I stuck mine on the LHS and ran the buzzer through to the back of the firewall-It was loud enough that i didn't have to bring it into the cockpit, if you follow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I paid about £8 for the whole kit and it came on a slow boat from China. I wasn't in a hurry. You can get them colour-coded-i went for silver, to match mine. You get everything you need-some of the 'posh' ones are as much as £15 with a digital display, but given how hot the dashboard gets and the limited space to mount a display-i just went for the sounder/bleeper.
You make sure that its all working first-wire them all up indoors on the table via a 12v battery /supply and you will at least know they are/are not working. I've fitted these to loads of cars, so I know what to look for. I then squirt a bit of silicon sealant on the cable-entry to the ultra-sonic sensor. Then let it dry. (the idea being if its going to let water in-it will be here)!
I then need to find the live-so take everything out of the boot-inc carpet- and rig up a 12v light bulb with 2 wires soldered to it (or a meter if you have one) Pop the ignition on to bring up the revising light (putting it in reverse of course). You then probe the light cluster plug for the live wire that lights up the white reversing lamp.
You can 'test' the kit works by connecting the red wire of the kit to this live wire and the black wire of the kit to earth. With the sensors hanging equipment-distance off the back of the car, you can (with a helper) test them! Make sure the kit switches off when you knock it out of reverse.
Now the bit not to get wrong-Mark a horizontal line across the bumper to get the 'centers' then divide the area by 4 and mark the vertical positions. The kits come with a hole-cutter, so carefully drill each hole, making sure you clear the plastic pieces out before progressing to the next hole, if you follow.
Pop the wires in, and I don't remember having to drill another hoe in the car-i came in via a blanking rubber-so you now have the 4 ultra sonic tales/wires in the boot and its a case of tidying the wires us and sticking the control box on the side of the boot-I stuck mine on the LHS and ran the buzzer through to the back of the firewall-It was loud enough that i didn't have to bring it into the cockpit, if you follow.

View attachment 136549
Hi, thanks for the detailed info it will be very helpful. It looks like a brilliant job!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Hi, thanks for the detailed info it will be very helpful. It looks like a brilliant job!
and for £8 was a well-worth doing job. I had them fitted for about 3 1/2 of the 4 years I owned that car- they never failed.

·
Registered
mgf
853 Posts
I have those ones as well with a digital display working from 1.20 m to 0.00 m with the peepers as well, never gives any trouble and the thing is you learn to trust it when reversing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts