MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to tell all about my rover 25 which i have had from new and have not had a single problem.
I bought my 1.4 rover 25 in august 2000 and for the first 3 years had it serviced by my supplying dealer.
After this period i took on the service intervals myself, changing the oil and filter every 10,000K, and the plugs, coolant, and fuel filter every 20,000K.
I had my local dealer change the timing belt at 40,000 and 80,000K.
I use the car for my business which sees me mostly on motorway journey`s always keeping at a steady 65 MPH.
The milage on my vehicle is now 100,037K.
I can honestly say that during this period i have not had a single problem and during the last few months i have been holding my breath waiting for it to reach the magic milage so that i could post this thread.
In fact i still find it difficult to get a accurate reading from the dipstick as the oil still runs clear between service.
And the moral of this story, look after your body and your body will look after you !
THE KING IS DEAD LONG LIVE MY ROVER !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
good to hear

we dont hear enough of the ones that solider on without a problem, it definately boosts confidence (not that it needed boosting of course :D)

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Thanks for that post lorry.

Nice to hear but, your experience is not unusual. I note you have serviced the car yourself since the warranty expired. This above all else will help any car as you know for certain the job has not only been well done, but, has actually been done. Something not always guaranteed when relying on 'others' to service the car.

Some years ago, I and a colleague, marked certain parts on our cars prior to service. On collecting our cars, we found plugs and filters charged for on the invoice had NOT been changed for new ones. Obviously an oversight! When pointed out to the establiishment concerned, we were told not to take our cars there for servicing - they could do without our custom apparently.

Makes you wonder ... Hey that oil looks fairly clean - so why bother changing it - who's to know.....

Your engine's bearings and bores will know ....

These experiences are not that rare ... one of my reasons for occasionally using the maxim..

Beware professionals.....or, at least keep an eye on things.

·
Registered
rover_75
2,596 Posts
My old K-reg 214 did 113k for me and never had HGF. I did have a few cooling system problems (the pipe at the back of the engine, a hose and the water pump all went separately) but I spotted all of them before any damage could be done.

But i care for my cars and most people just don't.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
just goes to show if u look after the k-series and its cooling system that it can easily do high mileages.

good to hear m8!!!

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Ravindervvc said:
thats impressive, theres a boy on the coupe forum. his turbos reached 165k on the clock and still running
yeah but thats a T series 2.0 which are not prone to head gasket failure. They are very tough engines (with mantainance of course). Someone on this very site has a Rover 420 with 260k miles on the clock and I think im right in saying the head has never come off.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
My friends parents 1990 Rover 214Si H reg had done 118k miles when they scraped it - the head had never been off.

My mums 1993 Rover 214SLi L reg had done 85k miles when we scrapped it - the head had never been off.

Both cars when scrapped, the head gaskets where still fine.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Pah... These are all miniscule mileages! My old cabby's still going strong at 142,000. Sure, the waterpump failed a couple of years ago, but hey - it's a consumable, isn't it...?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Well Gentlemen, my old 1997 'R' plated Rover 420 that I had a few years back has gone to another owner.

For the past three years it has been doing a daily commute from South Oxfordshire to Banbury and back - a round trip of about 80 miles a day. It has now gone to another owner who'll be using it for shorter journeys.

It's earned it's retirement. The car has now done 194,000 miles and apparently is still going strong.

When I had it, we made sure it had regular services and when we sold it - at 147,000 miles, it had a new timing belt, exhaust and water pump, but that has pretty much been it. Oh yes, and it had a new clutch a couple of years ago.

Not bad really for an old 'un! I liked that car. Wish I had it again now!

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
boxwellm said:
Well Gentlemen, my old 1997 'R' plated Rover 420 that I had a few years back has gone to another owner.

For the past three years it has been doing a daily commute from South Oxfordshire to Banbury and back - a round trip of about 80 miles a day. It has now gone to another owner who'll be using it for shorter journeys.

It's earned it's retirement. The car has now done 194,000 miles and apparently is still going strong.

When I had it, we made sure it had regular services and when we sold it - at 147,000 miles, it had a new timing belt, exhaust and water pump, but that has pretty much been it. Oh yes, and it had a new clutch a couple of years ago.

Not bad really for an old 'un! I liked that car. Wish I had it again now!
But thats a T series!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Rover_King said:
yeah but thats a T series 2.0 which are not prone to head gasket failure. They are very tough engines (with mantainance of course). Someone on this very site has a Rover 420 with 260k miles on the clock and I think im right in saying the head has never come off.
Yeah but the car breaks everytime it gets meantioned lol.

Coming home earlier and it just stalled, so was there rolling down a hill came back off the clutch whilst in gear and it fired upbut seriously lumpy, bit of the right foot and after a min all was ok. I hope it is anyway.

Over 270k now

EDIT : Also just to add someone (not on site) meantioned how well the car was going after so long and it dropped apart (well the exaust fell off)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts