MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a quick answer to this as I will be going to pick it up in an hour and just wanted to double check.
The exhaust is custom made longlife exhaust from exhausts.uk.com and came off a 1.8VVC.
I know trying to fit a 1.4 exhaust ONTO a 1.8 might have issues with the pipe diameter etc but as the exhaust is going onto a 1.4, there should be no probelm right?
cheers!

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
The flanges are different IIRC on the CAT so it won't fit.

Won't do much for performance either. Probably make it worse.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Backbox will fit, but what's the point as the bore of the pipe will be mismatched and as Stu says may cause you to lose power.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have just called the guy and will be picking it up regardless tomorrow as if I dont end up using it, I am sure someone else on here could do with it!

Backbox will fit, but what's the point as the bore of the pipe will be mismatched and as Stu says may cause you to lose power.
Ashy, the guy says there is a reducer fitted to make the pipe smaller and will fit onto my current system. Will this still cause a possible power loss with a reducer?

Essentially I just need the back box and mine is unsightly and rusted! If indeed the pipe already connected is of a wrong size, could I not chop it off and attach it backbox to my current pipe?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Anyones guess as to what it will do to the power. The chances are it is not going to improve it. You probably won't notice any difference tbh.

If it is only the back box and not the mid section as well you should be fine fitting wise.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
The back box will fit fine, but as said will simply be mismatched. A VVC exhaust system has a wider bore througout from front pipe to backbox. The 1.4 system is smaller.
It's not a great concern and as far as power goes, it's unlikely to have a major affect on gas flow, but just don't expect to gain anything.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Anyones guess as to what it will do to the power. The chances are it is not going to improve it. You probably won't notice any difference tbh.

If it is only the back box and not the mid section as well you should be fine fitting wise.
Didn't mean to repeat, but you posted will I was composing.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers, I kinda just need it for the back box for now, providing it fits like you guys say.

The back box will fit fine, but as said will simply be mismatched. A VVC exhaust system has a wider bore througout from front pipe to backbox. The 1.4 system is smaller.
It's not a great concern and as far as power goes, it's unlikely to have a major affect on gas flow, but just don't expect to gain anything.
Cheers ashy, not expecting to gain much or anything apart from a nicer looker rear end a bit more of a growl to the car but of course, wont tell till the thing is fitted!

whats on a VVC? 2.5"?
Is it 2.5" on a VVC cos I will check when I pick it up. Whats the size for the standard 1.4, just incase thats the pipe already fitted!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just thad a thought:
Would I be encountering the same set of problems if I brought the Magnex XRR11 exhaust that most people seem to have on their ZR as thats for a VVC too?

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Yes, which is why they do the XRR08 which is for the Non VVC.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But I was under the impression that the XRR11 was and is used by lots of members for their 200 or am I mistaken? Or are they just another type of Oval exhaust used on the 200, only reason I say is because an awful lot of them stick out as if they were from the ZR.
Seeing as the backbox has a reducer on it, then I can just use the back box.
What is the diameter of the pipe for a 1.4...and what is the actual name given to the pipe that joins to the back box?

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Most people with the oval pipes on the non VVC's are probably using the Janspeed (Xpower) one.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any link that exhaust at all? I cant find it on the janspeed website....
Whats the diameter of the pipe for a 1.4?
Cheers!

·
Registered
47 Posts
hi guys

i have just been reading through this thread and it got me thinking. if the vvc has a wider bore and just for examples sake YTL200 managed to put the whole exhaust one his motor from the 1.8 vvc. Ami right in thinking the back pressure that the exhaust generates would decrease? how would this affect the engine? i used to drive a fiesta mk3 and it required a degree of back pressure to run better, is this the same for the non vvc 1.4 105 zr.

sorry to divert the thread slightly i was just interested and the reply might help affect the outcome of this thread.

thanks

Rob

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With the same bored pipe off the VVC, I think it may be loosing pressure which is what Stu and Ashy suggested and hence MAY loose power (someone please confirm). But if I used my standard 1.4 pipe and just the back box, it should be fine and not much change if any, I think...
What I am confused is what makes a performance backbox performance and one like rage etc just for sound. Sure the change in pipe or exhuast structure must do something.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Ive fitted a maganex zr 160 back box to my 214. the connecting flange was the same but the inner pipe to the back box was slightly larger. I didnt notice any gain or loss in power things were the same but louder.
I would recommend using a new gasket the paste stuff didnt work for me.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts