MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Have already done a bit of research and there’s some helpful info in here but I’ve got a few more questions that you can hopefully help with.

I have a Freelander stage rally car - proper log booked car with AVO suspension, cage etc. Ratio’s from an mg zr have been dropped into the box so it now has a close ratio box whilst retaining the 4wd. It’s a great car, handles well, stable, reliable and great fun. Nobody likes being beaten by a Freelander and I love the fact it’s a bit of an underdog.

it’s currently running a 1.8 with piper 285 cams, vernier pulleys, larger throttle body and remapped ecu. 140 bhp ish? Despite all this it’s just too short on power to make it competitive. So I have a dilemma. Sell it and buy something more powerful or find more power - i’m very attached to the old girl and if I can make it more competitive without spending a fortune then I’d like to try. Turbo charging using an mg zt power unit seems like a really cost effective route.

so the plan is to buy a 1.8t full car so that I’ve got mounts any anything else required to switch over. The lump will drop straight in, attaches to the current 4wd pg1 and paddle clutch.

To run the boost side I understand I need to buy a boost controller and use either an aftermarket ecu (emerald do a plug and play attachement for the standard rover loom) or can I use either the current ecu or the mg ecu? With a suitable remap Of course

will the piper cams work ok with the turbo engine or keep the 1.8t Cams?

I have a 52mm throttle body in the garage - fitted previously but ran terribly (too big) but would that be a suitable upgrade for the turbo engine?

many thanks
Rich

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
That seems low on power. I run a 1.8 with 285's and S1 Exige VHPD intake throttle bodies and that makes just under 185 bhp on an Emerald K6. That was with the Factory exhaust at the time

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that a VHPD head or just the metal inlet manifold? It’s running a standard tweaked ecu by kmaps I think. I have an emerald ecu but it’s the old md3k which can’t deal with iacv on the Freelander.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
No its the VVC head. I don't run idle control on mine just set the idle screw to open the throttle valves slightly

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,762 Posts
Contact KMAPS about the cams, as for the swap, since you already have a 1.8k in there the turbo lump will go straight in, the gearbox should be good too but check with KMAPS, I have got myself the MAP sensor of the 75 donor and I plan to use it and pin it to an outlet on a MEMS3 unit out of an Auto as the gearbox signal wire can be repurposed for the MAP sensor when KMAPS remap it for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts