MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have checked out the search feature but nothing comes up that matches my problem exactly.
Rover 1.4 K starts fine, three seconds later a knocking noise starts, twenty seconds later it stops and everything is quiet and ticking over nicely. It only happens from cold. Any ideas?

She is due an oil/filter change could it be that?. Once it goes it don't come back under any rev range and she's as sweet as a nut other than this. If it makes any difference its a 97 Rover metro 114sli auto.

Cheers

Ken

On another subject I have just got back from a long weekend in York 550 miles round trip and the 1.8 turbo 75 returned 43 mpg overall. Well chuffed with that as I was doing 90 at times (not on public roads of course :) ) The mpg was taken with petrol used and not the computer which read 46 mpg.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Knocking is usually the big end bearings but I would suspect something with the auto box. I would need more details to make a decent suggestion.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
hydraulic tappet possibly.. when you change the oil try adding a flushing additive before you drain the oil as that can help a little. Also check the gearbox oil levels.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
The tappets on the 8V sound like screws/nails in a bake bean tin when they become tappaty. The lack of box fluid will not make it sound like that either. It could even be the exhaust banging on the underside of the car my sons does it till it warmish.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have checked the levels and they are fine but the engine oil is shot to hell. I have left it for over four hours and just started it and left it on tickover, the noise went after exactly twenty seconds so its obviously something that the oil don't reach for twenty seconds. If the oil is shot to hell then obviously the filter is as well. If the filter is finished and blocked is there a by pass valve that allows the oil to circulate? The oil and filter is getting done tomorrow morning hopefully that will sort it.

Cheers
Ken

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sejin26 said:
The tappets on the 8V sound like screws/nails in a bake bean tin when they become tappaty.
Thats the noise but a bit deeper in tone, more like two small spanners in a baked bean tin.

These forums get so technical sometimes :rotflmao:

Ken

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I also have this problem when starting from cold, but goes once the engine warms up... wonder what it is

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Well that could possibly be the tappets. Does it sound smooth when it's warm. When you drive it around does the temperature stay the same and not go up and down.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sejin26 said:
Well that could possibly be the tappets. Does it sound smooth when it's warm. When you drive it around does the temperature stay the same and not go up and down.
Yes its smooth when warmed up with no strange noises at all. The temp stays the same and don't move from half way up the gauge. Plenty of get up and go and never misses a beat.

As I say the oil and filter is being changed tomorrow so hopefully it will make a difference.

Ken

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
my bubble is a pig from cold, very noisy for a few minutes then goes super smooth.

a hydraulic lifter solution helped for a while but the noise returned recently.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi
Had the oil change done today! she is now quiet on cold start up with no knocking at all. I thought the oil was useless but it was worse than that! The filter had a change date on and it was two years old! Never mind all done now and hopefully sorted out.

Ken

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
If the filter was that old I would keep an eye on your new oil just to make sure no muck from the really old stuff gets in it. Did you flush it with some sort of cleaner.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sejin26 said:
If the filter was that old I would keep an eye on your new oil just to make sure no muck from the really old stuff gets in it. Did you flush it with some sort of cleaner.

Yes I did, once I saw the state of the oil I asked them to flush it through as well. I have no idea what they used but I know it was done as I was watching.

Thanks for your help :)

regards

Ken

1 - 15 of 15 Posts