MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1.4 engine 84bhp or 103bhp, how do i tell?

5324 Views 43 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Mgf120
Hi guys i have a 2003 rover 25, how would i tell if mine is the 84bhp engine or the 103bhp engine, also whats the difference between the 2?

mark
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Hi guys i have a 2003 rover 25, how would i tell if mine is the 84bhp engine or the 103bhp engine, also whats the difference between the 2?

mark
Hmmm is this not in the logbook?

If not i think the 103bhp uses a 52mm TB not sure about the 84 bhp. Correct me if im wrong?
hmmm a bit weird i just looked at my logbook and it says engine number unknown

mark
I believe someone mentioned it may be on the VIN plate, but thats not to say it hasn't been changed! Only way I know to check is to see if the valve opens all the way.
If its a 25, its probably 83PS. The 1.4 ZR's are 103 PS

Although some insurers have 25's down as 103 PS anyway, when I put a de-restricted throttle body on my 25, I phoned the insurance company who already had it down as 103 PS. Weird lol

Hope this helps
just looked, is the 84ps throttle body plastic and the 103ps one metal?

to be honest its to get a cambelt kit, been told the 2 kits are different, one has a thicker belt but probably easier to just open the casing and measure the belt width

mark
no they both use the 48mm tb but one opens all the way and one half way
take off your pipe from tb and manually move your tb and look
engine off
cheers dan
Last question promise lol, what engines can i get the 103ps throttle body from is it just another 1.4 or does the likes of a ZS 1.8 body work?

mark
Hi, my rover 25 is the 83ps model. I've just done the conversion. Best thing I found was to remove the airbox pipe, then manually push the throttle body. If it's the 103ps it will open all the way, if it's the 83ps like mine, it will only open up about half way, butterfly will look like it's not opened properly, the 103ps will rotate a full 90 degrees flat.
Hope this helps.
erm norm any 200 and zr and pos zs and 400 but unsure about them
and you will need the cable aswell remember and dont worry about all the questions but tbh a 52 mm is overkill for the engine
Hi, my rover 25 is the 83ps model. I've just done the conversion. Best thing I found was to remove the airbox pipe, then manually push the throttle body. If it's the 103ps it will open all the way, if it's the 83ps like mine, it will only open up about half way, butterfly will look like it's not opened properly, the 103ps will rotate a full 90 degrees flat.
Hope this helps.
Will do cheers matey

mark
You will need both the unrestricted throttle body and the cable that goes with it. Pretty well all the K series engines have unrestricted throttles apart from the low output 25.
if u just get a non restricted 48mm to replace a 48mm restricted TB surely you can use the same cable? obviously if you get a 52mm TB then you'd need a diff cable?

might be completely wrong.
i've a derestricted throttle body and cable for sale £30 posted
I'd get that body n cable if I was you Mark.
TBH, I've not seen or felt a difference, unless I've done mine wrong somehow.
does the 52mm have anymore advantages over the 48mm one?
It won't do much to a 1.4 the original is already plenty big enough.
thats what i thought
and a diff comment but do all 160s have the 282mm set up?
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.