MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a new member, in fact a Citroën man (up till now) but now considering a car of the model mentioned above. The car in question has 138kkm (85ish kmiles) and looks to be in good condition with all the gooies working, at least according to the owner.
However, I live in Finland and we don't have that many 75's here so this particular example is in Sweden, from where I intend to import it if everything works out alright.
However, I am a complete newbie when it comes to Rovers. A search on the forum suggests that the automatic is quite good, no problems with that, bu that the 2,0V6 can offer some challenges. Any warnings? Also, any type faults I should be checking for when I go and see the car or something I can ask the current owner about? You see, the car is a 150 euro flight away...
the car has Connoisseur spec with cruise control, climate control, parking radar but no sunroof. Thanks in advance for all your help, this forum is really extensive but unfortunately myu Roverskills aren't really that good yet.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
549 Posts
Other than the standard oil/water and service history checks the only particular thing to look out for on the V6 is VIS valve problems. The signs are rattle/vibration from the top of the engine, lack of mid-range 'go', might be less noticable in an auto (do a search on here for more info).

The cambelts will due to be changed at 90,000 miles so if it hasn't been done already negotiate £600-700 off to get them done. Check all the toys work, especially the air con (not inherently unreliable but can be expensive to fix).

If you get it, check the plenum drain holes are clear otherwise the ECU can take a bath.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks. If that's really it then I suppose the 75 is one hell of a car! ;-)
I've read that the 1,8 is prone to HGF but is this the case also for the 2,0V6?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Fille said:
OK thanks. If that's really it then I suppose the 75 is one hell of a car! ;-)
I've read that the 1,8 is prone to HGF but is this the case also for the 2,0V6?
V6 does not suffer in the same way as 1.8 from Cooling /HGF issues. Cam belts 3 of them should have been changed around 90K check it was done. I presume they have been or the engine wouldn't be running now. Lot's of general things to check regularly or fix here:- http://www.75andztclub.com/index.php?page=howto

Just noticed, repeating some things Iga said :)

Lot of car for little money.

MM

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Three of the cam belts changed at 90K? When is the fourth one supposed to be changed then? Anybody know anything about the auto 'box, when should it have its oil changed?
I have a Citroen C5 automatic where the oil isn't supposed to be changed in the box. Just stupid. I had the oil changed and it shifts much smoother now.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Fille said:
Three of the cam belts changed at 90K? When is the fourth one supposed to be changed then? Anybody know anything about the auto 'box, when should it have its oil changed?
I have a Citroen C5 automatic where the oil isn't supposed to be changed in the box. Just stupid. I had the oil changed and it shifts much smoother now.
4? :scary:
Should be a service check list on the club site, can't locate it immediately, so go here for download.
http://homepage.mac.com/mgzt180/FileSharing14.html
Last one on the list, same for 75.
Change Auto gearbox oil, 60k or 4 years D service.

Hope this helps

MM

·
Registered
358 Posts
There are 3 cam belts on the KV6. One long one at the "front" of the engine - passenger side in Left hand Drive countries. There are 2 smaller belts linking the cams together at the other end of the engine. To be done at 90K miles, and not a quick or cheap job.

The engine does not have any inherent reliablilty issues other than that described above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts