MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Im not rich at all. Im splitting up with my missus who is going to buy me out of the house. I am going to put some away for a house deposit etc etc. But I have decided I want to invest in my trophy. Pictures will follow.

I have a budget of £5000 that I would like to spend on the car. The car is completely standard. I would like to make the car faster etc Im not really bothered about bling!

My question is: How would you spend the money and why>>?

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,138 Posts
Nice looking F there and the right colour in my opinion :)

I'd start off with a new enclosed air filter system, followed by a full exhaust system - just to start off. Once you've got the intake and exhaust gasses sorted you can start looking at other mods.

Take a look here to see what else can be done: www.dvapower.com

·
Registered
977 Posts
In my mind, you have only two choices.

Either sell the Trophy and buy something quicker.....

Or take the supercharger route.:drool: :broon: :jealous: :hyper:

(please take the supercharger route and let me see it!!!!)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did post a notice about supercharging previously. Turbo Technics no longer offer this service any longer. It seems their website is 3 years out of date! Hence, why I made this post to see what else is around!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Someone will be doing it, isn't there a place in Milton Keynes that does it? Someone will have a link.

TBH, I don't think anything else, other than a new engine, would get you big power gains, and I think for 5k you would want to see a MASSIVE increase, I know I would.

·
Registered
mgf
2,405 Posts
Most on here will obviously want you to see the supercharging option taken but if it were me (you did ask for opinions!) I love my 'f' but I'd be tempted to sell and buy an Elise or something quicker like that! That's what my head says!!

My heart says, have some fun and go for the supercharging option!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have thought about NOS. And Im quite intrigued by that. My only worry is I will used tooo much gas! Apart from that it seems quite good. I appreciate the comments about other cars etc guys, but Im an MG guy. So its not an option. :_)

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Nice thought to be able to do this :drool:
My route would be Poly bushes all round, Larger rear disks (when they're available), Adjustable shocks, Adjustable rear camber (if you can still get it), Deeper front splitter. Cold induction, Branch manifold, Exhaust, Higher lift/duration cams with solid tappets. Polished but not heavily modified porting & inlet. Free flow inlet valves. Emerald ECU, Oil cooler, LR ladder, Remote PRT. Say 190 BHP.

Taking it much further than that probably means a reworked bottom end & forged pistons. Haven't looked at the cost of bottom end but B&G have just a crank in their catalogue for £1300 :eek:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone actually have an address or contact details for someone that is offering supercharging etc?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks balrog, that is what im looking for. I believe though the Trophy has already gopt an unrated suspension etc? Am I right? And the discs at the front at least are awesome. But I take your point about the bottem end. Perhaps, I should invest in a crank and some pistons, etc and get a modified head and exhaust? Do you think I could buy the parts for that kind of money?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Yes, the Trophy is unique in having stiffer fluid suspension but geometry and stability can still be improved. Have a look here to get some thought juices flowing.

EDIT
Oh I forgot to mention any body stiffening you might want to do.
\\EDIT

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,138 Posts
Same link as I just provide above. Dave Andrews certainly knows his stuff. From what I've read, you'd be a fool to look anywhere else, except perhaps PTP performance.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
IIRC Steve (Sharky) has a 'sorted' K-Series engine he is selling, it's somewhere around the 180-190bhp mark I think!.

Drop this in and you would still have your original engine should you every wish to return it to standard!.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Yup, sorry Max. My bad.

Ah yes, good thought Mark :) been soreley tempted to send Sharky a pm myself. But I'm out of credits with my chancellor at the moment and/or thinking about getting another Trophy to 'play' with.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah ok. I think I would prefer to start afresh with an engine unless it was somehow definately in brillant condition. How do I get in Contact with sharky?

THanks for that site, Dave andrews looks like he knows what he is doing.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cheers. I have sent him a message I think. Keep the ideas coming chaps. In relation to suspension. Someone mentioned adjustable rear camber. what is that exactly and what does it do?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts