MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this sound ok? Guy's a callout mechanic. Wants to skim the head as well. Should I let him go ahead and do that too?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
if the head is warped it will need skimming, he will be able to tell that when he gets there

£250 is a good price if its done right

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He had a look. Said he didn't know if it was warped but he wanted to skim it anyway.
Is it really 2 days worth of work?
I think I'm gonna phone around to see if anybody else can give a better price.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
He had a look. Said he didn't know if it was warped but he wanted to skim it anyway.
Is it really 2 days worth of work?
I think I'm gonna phone around to see if anybody else can give a better price.
Better price!:eek:mg2:
You won't get a better price than that, that is very cheap. Some people pay double that. It's a very involved job.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
mine was 150 labour plus parts , which came to nearly 350 , as he did cambelt, & auxillary belts.

See if your guy will/is doing the same

·
Registered
223 Posts
£400 seems to be considered reasonable including skimming, so that is a very good price.

I don't know why it should cost much more to get it skimmed, a place near me does them £30 a time.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol, ok I'll get him to do it then.
I had been considering buying a bigger engine from a scrappy/breakers if the chance comes up. How much would a good condition 1.8 skim me?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Does this sound ok? Guy's a callout mechanic. Wants to skim the head as well. Should I let him go ahead and do that too?
If you dont have it skimmed.Whats going to happen if you have problems later ,he,s going to say i told you to have it skimmed!! £250 is what i paid for my 114,although , i have to say ,they didnt get all the mayo out.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I picked him up wrong. He wants £350 for it :indiff:

****load of steam came out the exhaust last night then motor cut out as I parked it up. Wouldn't start again about an hour and a half later. It was just going *chug*

Mehhhhhhhhh I only got this car 3 weeks ago and I still have to give the guy the other half of the money!!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
id give him half the hgf bill as well, he would of known about the headgasket problem me thinks!
Not entierly true.
He may of sold it knowing it was losing water or something, so flogged it. This guy bought it and didnt know and may of not checked the water/oil.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
Unfortunetly, selling a car with head gasket falure is a big problem for buyers, its especially true in auctions. My coupe was sold to me with the head gasket gone, even though it was advertised (Carefully) as ...no overheating issues.. which it didn't... still had hgf though. They had changed the oil, changed the water (no coolant) was pretty soon after parting with my cash that I realised it had gone...

I would certainly talk to him about it and measure him up, if he really does sound genuine (Which I doubt) then its up to youif you want to carry the can for it but personally I would be going back to him with the bill expecting half back or a refund on what I had paid in exchange for the car.

Either way, if it had been loosing water, he would of known there was a fault, even if he did not understand HGF, really if he was genuine he should of at least told you it was loosing coolant and then up to you to take the risk.

Anyway £350 is still an ok price, but like most have already said, don't have it skimmed if it doesn't need it, its a pointless waste of money and removes the heat proof coating on the surface and if you ever need it doing again, depending on how much they take off may mean you need a new head next time as you can't keep skimming them. Also make sure he uses the Land rover gasket.

Good luck.

Sean

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've done it myself becouse in Moscow it costs 800 instead of 350 =) So the job is not a pretty one =)) all day long it took us to change all the gaskets... I'd better pay 350 =)))

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you guys think that it had been losing water for a couple of weeks, probably before he sold it to me?
Or could have just ****** up within the past few days?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I picked the car up it wouldn't start. It just went *chug*
We had to push it along the road for a bit to jump it. That's related to oncoming HGF ain't it?
My other half's sister's R25 went like that and just had it's HG replaced a few days ago.

This guy is supposed to be a mate and he told me there was nothing wrong with it. No problems.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
mine just went pop on my k series, i put it down to the radiator giving in. i can remember the night it happened like it was yesterday (almost 4 years ago!)

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I picked the car up it wouldn't start. It just went *chug*

We had to push it along the road for a bit to jump it...... and he told me there was nothing wrong with it. No problems.
Was this when you went to collect the car when you bought it? I would expect you to have paid well under book price if you had to push it to get it going!.....and if you did the problems are all yours.

I always buy private but I do so knowing there's no comback & no warranty if it all goes wrong. Buyer beware!. I also avoid buying from friends because of what can happen to all that good faith stuff if the car does suddenly develop problems....Did they know before they sold it? etc...

I supose you could ask your mate some inocent questions about MPG oil and water consumption. Drinking lots of water isn't normal and is a common symptom of HGF, you'd have hoped he'd have mention it to you. Imposible to know if he knew that it was on it's way south!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts